Thursday, August 25, 2005

The problem with the chinese

NOTE: You don't have to agree with what I say today, and I don't have to know that too.

Today I'm feeling a bit political, influenced by the just concluded MCA polls and the brewing war between Datuk Seri Dr Lim Keng Yaik and Datuk Seri Kerk Choo Ting. So, allow me to state my views on this.

Looking at the current political scenery, I'm reminded by my secondary teacher who said that the chinese is best describe by a well-known chinese proverb, "ren bu wei ji, tian chu di mie". Roughly translated, it means that if a person does not think of himself first, he will be destroyed by the heavens and the earth. Chinese has been fighting amongst themselves since the beginning of time- just look at how many dynasties that once ruled the middle kingdom: Tang, Yuan, Ching, Ming, etc. Every now and then, there will be a couple of numbskull selfish people who insist on making decisions based on personal gains.

Even now, as we look at our backyard, We can see how things haven't changed much. MCA had its problem with the Team A/Team B a couple of years ago and it probably won't be the last. Gerakan, which is predominantly chinese, has started washing its dirty linen in public. DAP also has had its turmoil, which led to the birth of MDP. Within Barisan Nasional, it is an open secret that MCA and Gerakan are not really that close as they would like us to know. Last year's talk about a MCA and Gerakan merger was merely a publicity stunt.

The chinese politicians could learn a thing or two from UMNO. Sure they was Semangat 46 and now Parti Keadilan Rakyat, but UMNO has remained relatively strong and united throughout the years. Looking back at history, one would see how united the malays were. There wasn't much problem here till they started trading with foreigners. Without Ghee Hin/Hai San and the British, the situation in Perak would've probably ended on a different note.

I'm not trying to tear down my own race(heck, if I wasn't chinese, I would've been labeled a racist) but it's just my observation. It is just sad that after all these years, we have not learnt from our own mistakes.

Oi, you remember who you're representing or not?