Monday, January 23, 2006

Shades interviews: NGXM FF Hong Kong

She's not mean but lean. Once you've attended her class, you'll be mesmerised by her moves on stage- PERIOD. Introducing the epitome of group-x passion - BODYSTEP® trainer and new National Group-X Manager for Fitness First Hong Kong Ms Jacqueline Wong.



S:
How are you doing in HK so far? Are the cats happy to see you back for good?
JW:
Still settling in both at home and at work. Haven’t finished unpacking yet – had to hunt through boxes the other day to find my wraps for the BODYCOMBAT® launch. Think cats are happy to see me – can’t really tell with cats..but they have been very friendly and snuggly. Either they are happy to see me or they are cold.



S:
Can you confirm what nationality you are? Some people still get confused over this.
JW:

Malaysian. Born in Germany, grew up in Malaysia, US and UK and lived over 10 years in Hong Kong but still very much Malaysian at heart.


Penang roots

S:
Do you speak German?
JW:
Ja. fliessend. oder fast fliessend

S:
How long were you there?
JW:
Was born there and left one year later then returned in 1992 for 1 year as part of university studies. Reading University, UK - German and International Relations, if that's your next questions.

S:
No wonder... but my next question: What did you just say in German?
JW:
Fluent, well used to be fluent...hey, how come you don't ask if I'm gay?

S:
Err… coz you’re obviously not. How did you get involved in the fitness industry?
JW:
I had always loved Group X and for years I was a front row junkie and would plan my work schedule according to which classes I wanted to attend. I started teaching Group X and personal training in 1997 and freelanced for years. I was approached by Fitness First one month after Ryan and I got married for a GXC position. Originally I was a little hesitant – after all I had plenty of work as a freelancer and had the freedom to set my hours and take off for 3 weeks in the summer. I had just gotten married and had spent the previous 6 months focused (some would say obsessed) on the wedding. Once we returned from our honeymoon I felt a little lost with a lot of extra time on my hands. George, the NGXM at the time clinched the deal by telling me, “come be a GXC, you can plan the club schedule, theme classes, events etc. Hey, it will be like planning your wedding every day!” The rest, as they say is history.



S:
It's generally agreed that your execution of the moves is very sharp, regardless of whichever program you teach. Do you have any dance/martial art experience prior to GX? If not.. what is your secret of success?
JW:
Um, no martial arts or dance experience. Guess I'm just a great pretender! Have an overactive imagination plus as instructors we don't ever look in the mirror so I can just pretend I'm Lucy Liu or J Lo.

S:
Was it an easy decision to return to Malaysia as NGXM?
JW:
Oh yes. Although I was very comfortable and had made a home in Hong Kong this was an opportunity not to be missed. I had already met some of the GX team and members on previous trips to Malaysia and felt a great urge to return to my roots. Ryan understood that it was important for me to grow and develop as an individual. Despite the initial reservations I knew deep down that this was something I would regret if I didn’t seize the opportunity.

S:
Have you had any bad experiences in M’sia?
JW:
None at all. People warned me about petty crime but I was fortunate. My mother had her bag snatched twice during my time in Malaysia. My advice – carry a backpack that weighs as much as you do – a definite deterrent.



S:
What was your most challenging thing for you in Malaysia?
JW:
Dealing with bureaucracy. Always had to have someone with me to help me fill in my tax return, passport renewal and mykad application forms. That and the occasional dodgy mamak meal.

S:
What is the thing you miss most about Malaysia?
JW:
a. My Group X team. 20 of the most passionate, committed and talented individuals anyone would ever be lucky enough to work with. The people who were my family for 16 months, who kept me sane and made everything fun!
b. The members for being so supportive and who keep the passion for Group X alive!
c. Coffee Bean salmon scramble

S:
Don't you have Coffee Bean in Hong Kong?
JW:
No, no Coffee Bean here.



S:
Interesting...
JW:
Why, you going to come here and open?

S:
Nah... just thought missing Coffee Bean was weird. Would you be keen for another stint in Malaysia?
JW:
Absolutely but I think next time Ryan and the cats will have to come along.

S:
Prior to your stint, you have been staying overseas all this while. What is the most challenging thing for you to work in Malaysia?
JW:
Have been doing this all my life so do not know any better. I guess the most challenging thing was finding my way around KL, and getting used to Malaysian English. I foolishly thought I could add “la” at the end of every sentence and I fit in. Lucky someone taught me the subtleties of ‘lor’, ‘ah’, ‘leh’, ‘wor’, ‘meh’, and ‘ma’.



S:
Do you feel people tend to look up to you because you’re a “foreign talent”?
JW:
Do they look up to me? I’m only 5 foot 2…and not foreign…maybe a bit strange, but definitely not foreign.

S:
Now that you’re in HK, Are you making the taxi drivers happy or do you have alternative transport system?
JW:
Taxi drivers are very happy in Hong Kong once again although I am concerned about how taxi drivers in KL will fare and the overall effect my departure will have on the Malaysian economy. As I work in Tsim Sha Tsui I do take the MTR to get across the harbour and walk a lot more here than I did in KL.

S:
Where do u see yourself in 10 yrs time? Do you think you will settle back in Malaysia?
JW:
Would love to settle back in Malaysia if not all year around then some of the year. In 10 years time I hope to be doing what I love doing, surrounded by people I love.

S:
Being a fitness instructor, please give us a sample of your daily cuisine.
JW:
You know the saying, some people live to eat and some people eat to live. I am one of those people who normally eats the same thing every day. Breakfast – scrambled eggs on toast. Lunch – sandwich or chicken salad. Pre class snack – yogurt pot or tuna sushi roll. Dinner – usually thai minced chicken with rice and spinach or similar. Oh, and copious amounts of ice tea!

S:
If you are only allowed to teach 1 LM program, what would it be?
JW:
Ooh, hard one…toss up between BODYJAM® and BODYBALANCE®.



S:
What do you do in your leisure? In other words, is there life apart from gym?
JW:
Like to read gossip magazine, watch sitcoms (attention span too short for movies), read fitness blogs and basically move as little as possible.

S:
How did you and Ryan meet? Was it love at first sight?
JW:
We were set up by long term friends of ours over 8 years ago. There was definitely a strong connection between us. I remember our first dates going on until 3am because we had so much to say to each other.

S:
Given that both of you are in the fitness industry, would you try to encourage your children to venture in this industry, when and if you have children?
JW:
I believe in the old saying, “Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”. As I told the GXCs, “Do what you love, love what you do and the rest will take care of itself”

S:
Any last words? Some wise sayings for us to go "Hmmmm......"?
JW:
Oh another funny thought about settling in in Malaysia. It took me a while to get used to squatting loos - always got confused whether to face in or out until someone pointed me in the right direction(figuratively, not literally). Quite confusing, right...don't we look the way we are going?

Once again, thanks for the interview Jacq. Deep stuff indeed- who would've thought that it was so difficult to use the toilets? Hmmmm......