Sunday, April 08, 2012

Onwards to other things!

And so, I managed to complete "Dead Man's Cell Phone" with ease... yeah right.

It was the craziest thing I've ever done in theatre! From the day I received the script on 1 Mar to the opening night, I only had 14 days to be ready. 

What's the big deal, you might ask. Well, I had only 2 scenes but 1 scene involved a 7-min monologue. And on 5 Mar we had to present the play to the klpac peeps. It means I had only 4 days to memorize everything. 

On 5 Mar, I managed to do my thing. Actually it's more of just spitting out lines without meaning. Although I was allowed to call for lines, I was really not ready for the preview. We got our feedback & I realized that I had a lot of work to do.

From that moment onwards, I was basically spending time either on my own memorizing my lines, meeting with Christopher Ling or Amir(who played Dwight), or will be doing the runs with the cast. I counted and I only had 5 rehearsal runs with the cast before opening night.

So how did I do? I'm not sure how people saw it, but for me, I think overall I did better in the Penang run as I managed to get comfortable with Gordon after the KL run. I believe given another 1-2 weeks of rehearsal time, I would have been more confident portraying Gordon. Nevertheless, it was a great experience getting to know new people & working with Christopher Ling- my only wish is that I had more time with them instead of just 25 days.

 The cast & the director

With that all wrapped up, it's time to look to the future again. So what is next?

In about a week's time, wifey & I will be auditioning for a role in Dama Orchestra's "Empress Wu The Musical". The musical will be held from mid Sept to Oct 2012. Should we make it, I think rehearsal will commence in June. I am kind of torn between Empress Wu and another project I have been approached to do in Oct as well. I saw their production last year that was pretty awesome and it would be a wonderful experience to be part of their new project.This one looks to be a theatre piece but I will have to meet up with one of the producers probably by end of Apr to find more details.


If both also don't work out for me, then I am going to audition as a performer for Short+Sweet Malaysia 2012 Musical & as a director for Short+Sweet Malaysia 2012 Theatre. In fact I am currently trying to write something for Short+Sweet Malaysia 2012 Musical too.Hopefully the S+S workshop next weekend will help me to create something interesting:)

Year end, I hope to be in a musical again, but I will have to wait for the audition in Aug/Sept,... and that will probably be another blog entry in the second half of 2012:)

No comments: