Last year at around this time, I was halfway through the "Malaysian Girls" run in klpac and also cleaning up my table in FF Menara Manulife. This year, I am sort of in a similar situation, as I prepare for SIBKL's Christmas musical "EVERWORLD":)
However, looking back this year, I feel that this year I have done more than I did last year.
Last year, it was basically more about getting on stage. This year, while I still get to do that, I managed to find time to explore the other aspects of performing arts in song & script writing, and collaborating with the missus. I am extremely proud of "The Geongxi is a Vamp" cast & crew for the work they have put into making the musical a huge success.
Also, I get to do the very thing I wanted to do when I started doing shows in KL - taking what I have learned and use it in church ministry. Thanks to Tabitha, we went for the audition in Apr(or was it May?) and we were picked for the musical. Although I had to forgo the chance to audition for Christopher Ling's "Kiss of the Spider Woman", I still believe in my higher calling for this.
While it has been a long and occasionally frustrating journey, as I looked back, I am thankful for the friends I have made over the last few months in this production. And when we start our run on 19 Dec at Sunway Mas Community Centre, I am certain that everyone will put in their very best for God.
Something to be thankful for was I got to take part in Christopher Ling's "Dead Man's Cell Phone". It was a wonderful experience working with Alexis, Anrie & Sandee again while making new acquaintances in Payal & Amir. My only regret is that I only had 2 weeks to prepare for the show. Given 1 more week or so, I could be better at playing Gordon. Also I really hope to work with Christopher in a full production(as in with full preparation) one day.
I am glad to be performing in Dama Orchestra's "Empress Wu", another awesome experience. Kai Loon & Seng Chew have great vision for the musical and they have managed to pulled in all expertise they have and made the musical successful. Kai Loon's attention to details was something I salute and next year when they restage "Butterfly Lovers", I hope I get to be part of again.
So what do I hope to see in 2013?
1. When I tendered my resignation with Fitness First, I told my fellow GX managers that I would work toward finding a career that would allow me to do both GX & performing arts. So I hope that I will be able to do something like that in 2013.
2. After doing 2 musicals, I think it is time to go back to theatre and do a play. So, no musical for me in the first 6 months of 2013 - hopefully something will pop up for me:)
3. I am still thinking of whether to try writing a play for S+S 2013 instead of a musical. The musical I had wanted to write this year is beginning to feel more suitable as a play than a musical. However, with so much competition in S+S Theatre, I don't think my play would be selected. So it may be a safer bet to submit a musical still:)
4. I am contemplating if I should do stage managing in 2013. Though I prefer to be a performer than a SM, perhaps it is good to do it so that I don't lose what I have learned in 2011.
5. Yes, a musical with Christopher Ling please.(Chris, I hope you are reading this!)
Looking forward to a better year in 2013!